Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Chino Hills Earthquake!!!!

I'm sure most of you heard about the 5.4 earthquake that was centered in Chino Hills today at 11:42am. Brixie Lee and I were sitting at our dinning room table and the condo started to shake. It was a jerking shake instead of the normal rolling that I'm used to. It was fairly short and not that exciting for us. Two picture frames fell over, but both of them are extremely wobbly frames. Brixie Lee look more confused than anything. I don't think she was scared. When it was over, I looked at her and said "Earthquake! Welcome to California!" After that she laughed and repeated that line all afternoon. I think she may have wanted me to do it again. Silly girl!

15 minutes after the quake Brixie Lee went down for a 2-1/2 hour nap and didn't have a care in the world. I watched the news and found out that the shaking in the hills (Chino Hills) was less violent than for those in the flat lands around us (Chino, Pomona, etc.) Some of my friends in Chino said that bookshelves and lamps toppled over. My friends at Cal Poly said it was a very hard ride. Diane Carter was actually trapped in her office with stuff falling off the bookshelf. Apparently they closed the CLA tower, but the rest of campus was open for business. I did hear on the news that Mt. Sac (just over the hill from Cal Poly) was evacuated and closed for the rest of the day. Lots of action outside of Chino Hills!

I would like to thank all my family and friends that called to check on me. I'm sorry I couldn't answer all your calls but my cell phone kept sending my calls to my voice mail. Then I wasn't able to return a lot of calls because the lines were so busy. Again, thank you all so very much for checking on us. Take care and be safe!

1 comment:

Pam said...

I thought it would have been worse for you guys over there, but I'm glad to hear everyone is fine and there was no damage. :)